View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Wreckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1

So far for cost, i have i figured about $500 for legacy tubro pistons, about another $400 of maching, and another $400 for the rest of the rebuild, about $600 on the fuel system, about $200 for the turbo and inner cooler( CT26, some disel inner cooler), plus another $300 for pipes, and extras. And of course a ECUstage 1 chip to retard timining, which i already have.
I have to say, if you're interested in a decent cheap turbo get a T3 or T2 flanged turbo from one of the Nissan guys upgrading the turbos on their CA18's SR20's, RB20 & RB25's. Once you go past what that turbo can do, there's almost unlimited options that would replace it easily thanks to the T2 or T3 flanges which are everywhere.
I would highly recommend this over the CT-26 because the CT-26 is absolute junk. I've blown about 3 of them personally. The design isn't just old and crappy it is also bulky for its power output and because of the bit of help I've given SVXtasy on his setup I know first hand what a PITA space is in the SVX bay. The CT-26 also uses unique flanges that will not be portable to another (real) turbo and be a ***** to find to begin with. There's a few bolt ons with CT-native flanges available for the 7M-GTE Supras like mine such as the SP61GT but I just don't see a point in spending twice as much for a turbo upgrade than you'd spend on a typical T3/T4 hybrid that could be bought from just about anywhere and be available to support almost any power level you could want.

Hope that helps.
-Jeff

Edit: My Avatar is a CT-26 that failed on me at about 15 psi. The shaft snapped at the compressor and the compressor destroyed itself on the compressor housing and then the open cartridge dumped pressurized oil into my intake piping and intercooler. Yay Toyota.

Edit again: I just noticed your desired power output is 350-400hp. You will be hard pressed to find any stock turbo that would support that kind of power, and even MK3 Supras with upgraded CT-26's that cost upwards of $600+ core exchange typically struggle to break past 350rwhp.

For 400hp on an SVX, You'll need at least a 50 trim. Count on spending at least $750 for a decent turbo, masterpower and ssautotrash/blown mountain on Ebay are NOT good turbos.

Last edited by Wreckless; 05-03-2005 at 07:47 PM.