View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Re: I shift into gear and it just...dies. Any ideas?

Ok,

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was out of town, and then the Christmas season has kept me out of the garage for a while. So today I took a look at it, and here are some of the answers to your questions.

(1) The car does not sit a long time. I had, in fact, driven it a day or so before it first did this. But, I was up in the mountains, and it sat overnight, and the next morning it ran like CRAP (jerking, was just really bad) and I was terrified the tranny was going to explode and leave me stranded. After a while it seemed to run just fine. I have a theory on this that I will get to in a minute.

(2) I checked for transmission codes and all I get is the constant blinking once every quarter second or so.

(3) The throttle seems to respond perfectly, so I don't think it's a TPS issue. Had one of those on my truck, boy was that a royal pain to track down.

(4) Idle air control valve. The car idles at around 800rpm or so, which is awesome.

(5) Vacuum leak - Don't hear anything at this time.

(6) Tried to use the gas to keep it at higher rpm, still died.

(7) Christmas tree is after it dies. The MAF is not a bad idea, I might try this. I have a little more info that might make this more likely or rule it out, I want to hear from you guys but let me answer all the questions first.

So, today I started it up and it died as usual. Then I let it idle for about ten minutes and come up to regular operating temperature, and it runs fine. I backed it out of my garage and took it for a short drive. Stood on it and it runs great except that I need to tighten the transmission band just a bit.

So, the problem seems to be temperature related. In my mountain experience (just before all this started) it ran like crap until I had been running it for ten minutes or so. Today once I let it warm up completely it drives fine.

With this added info do you think I should try replacing the MAF, or is there a temperature sensor somewhere that needs to be replaced?

Joel