View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I think you should believe Harvey. He's the one with the STI badge.

On a more serious note the symptoms that match yours in the ATSG 4EAT manual, namely

"Car does not move in D or 3 range though engine revs up"

The only suggested "probable causes" they have listed are 53: "Faulty O.W.C. (1-2)" and 54: "Faulty O.W.C. (3-4)"

This would seem to tally with Harvey's suggested fix above, I'm assuming OWC means one-way clutch.

This problem is of interest to me, because my Black Betty has the symptoms "Car does not move in D,3 or 2 though engine revs up". In the case of my problem, though, after getting it rolling in 1 there was no way I could get it to engage 2,3 or D.

The suggested fixes were, in relevance order, Valve sticking, Bad TCU and 54:, Faulty OWC 3-4.

I changed the valve chest and the TCU with no joy. I also thought along the same lines as Trevor, thinking the speed sensor was faulty, although in our VTD type the gearbox has to come out to change it, unlike your US type.

In the end, I gave up and bought another gearbox. It's probably the OWC is what I have deduced in my case. And that's what it likely is in your case too.

Joe
Joe,

The merit or otherwise of the STI logo is clearly factually illustrated x 2, within this thread.

Please adhere to what has been reported and the logic which should be applied, in accordance with what in good faith must be accepted as fact. The car does in fact does move in range 3 when the engine revs up.

As has been reported a second time and as a result of my request for a second confirmation:-

“When speed reached about 30, I then move the shifter to 3 and then D and everything is fine including the TC locking at proper speed.”

Protecting one in error, illustrates several errors.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!