Thread: Turbo write-up
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Wreckless

I just have to add a few things... and Svxtasy can hate me for it later.

He never mentioned all the little things that kept going wrong like the power steering system that gave him fits for months.

Or the car PC he built for this car that went through at least 2 prototype configurations before reaching the stage its at now. Plus all the fuss with which screen to buy that would fit properly and work well.

Or how close he was to purchasing not just any WRX, but a Cobb stage III WRX wagon that actually had the oldschool Cobb APS turbo kit and FMIC. That car was a beast.

Or collecting all the various bits for that HKS CAMP system which was frustrating and time consuming because speed shops just don't like it when you walk in and start rattling off HKS part numbers.. So he ordered a lot of it directly from JAPAN.. TF&TF jokes aside.

Or how he fabricated his own collectors BY HIMSELF with the schedule 40 pipe, weld els, a grinder, and a tack welder all in Dave's garage and somehow managed to keep the garage clean.
I'm baffled that he stayed sane through it.

Or how he'd done a HUGE ammount of research on air to water intercooling because all the naysayers said it was impossible to do an FMIC in a SVX. His research proved fruitful in our friend Robbie's project Saturn SC2 which now benefits from a laminova air to water intercooler and has a GT28 huffing air into that intercooler.

Or how much of the SVX community told him it was impossible, that he was stupid for even trying, that it would never work, etc etc etc etc.
I don't know who was saying what or if they are even still around. All I have to say to the naysayers is "neeneer neeneer neeneer! "

Or how he was seeing a girl for the better part of a year (was it more than a year?) that didn't like the sound of my turbo after he took her for a spin in my Supra.
Funny how the relationship didn't work out.. hehe

Mind you, through all of this he's going to classes full time at one of the toughest tech schools in the nation shooting for a degree in chemical engineering and working at a nearby govt research and testing center.
At first I protested his taking the car to any shop to finish up. He had done all of the hard work, all of the research, collected all of the components, only to spend a chunk of money to have another shop finish the tedious task of fabricating the intercooler piping. Only after SVXtasy and I discussed it over dinner could I understand his reasoning. He just showed me one of his 5 textbooks for his classes for that semester and it was so scary I wanted to just flip burgers.

I firmly believe that this is just the beginning for this car. This isn't the endgame, this is the first installment in a series..