View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 04:53 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

My recommendations

I've pulled one to change headgaskets, one to dismantle the a nasty wreck, and will be pulling another one for parts shortly.

First, if you don't already have it, get the factory service manual. It lists items you need to remove to pull the engine, torque values for the internals, and the sequence of dis-assembly and re-assembly. Remove everything in front of the engine that may get damaged if it gets swinging when being removed (radiator, charcoal canister, fans, ect. Have a 1/2" and 3/8" drive torque wrench available. Torque values for the cam caps are very low. Drain the oil from the engine prior to pulling. Leave the oil filter in place to avoid drips. Label everything on the teardown. I use tape tabs with numbers on BOTH sections of mating hoses, wiring bundles, cables, etc. It may seem easy to remember now, but when you go to re-install the engine it will save you a lot of time. Take notes and pictures if they will help. Make sure you have a complete set of metric tools (wrenches-open and box, sockets, ratchets and breaker bars). Spray the exhaust bolts with penetrating oil before attempting to remove them. Use 6 point sockets on the rusty fasteners to reduce the possibilty of rounding the off.

That's it for now. Good luck!

Todd