View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I didn't see the MTV interview (And what's so wrong with MTV interviewing Hans Blix? They don't play music videos any more, so they have to do something - and they might as well cover current events.), but I seriously suspect that the author of this piece is taking Blix's statement out of context. The reason I suspect this is that it's the only statement from Blix that he uses to attack him. There is no other supporting information - just one thing the guy said in one interview. That hardly presents us a full picture of the guy's personality, priorities or competence. It certainly does not represent the priorities or competence of his employer, the UN.

I found Hans Blix's reports on the inspection process to be objective and thorough. Blix told the world that progress was being made, but that Iraq still did not accept that the world demanded its disarment, and that many questions remained to be answered. He told us what we needed to hear - that Iraq was not cooperating fully.

It was the security council which failed, not Hans Blix. Why it failed is complicated. This was a contentious issue, and we got mired in a cycle of appeasement and 'last chance' diplomacy solutions. The Iraq issue took so long to resolve that nobody seemed to ever remember that they had been in the same place a few times before.
Well said, Nick.

Mike