View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Might have a blown headgasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
It has been hot and continues to be hot. I am hoping it is a bad rad cap or a clog like John mentioned (haven't checked that yet) but I am not optimistic.

I need to decide what to do if it is a blown gasket. It will cost me about $1800 to get it repaired. It is a 96 with no rust at all and runs well otherwise. It has 149K on it so I think I can get another 50K and probably three or four years if I reseal it. That is definitely worth $1800. But I will be driving a car with crappy clear coat and several dings and scratches around for 3-4 years. Not sure I want to spend $1800 to do that. Do I spend an additional $3K and get it repainted too? Then it would look less ghetto. But now I probably need to get at least 5 years out of it to make it worth while. Tranny is original so will I get 5 more years? And, even if I do, will I want to drive it around daily when it is pristine? I suppose I could go all out and turn it into a garage queen and bring it to car shows. Not sure if I am a car show guy though.
Cant speak for the trans but I can tell you if you reseal the heads( and have it done right) you should get a lot more then 50k and 5 years. If you make sure the water pump inlet is enlarged, and or move the T-stat to the other rad hose you should not have any issue with head gaskets again. and since there are stock engines (without those fixes) lasting high into the 200k's I wouldn't worry over much.