View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 PM

Re: wrecked the svx... 14 years ago

Take my word for it, if your car had problems, you'd notice.

I noticed wrinkled sheetmetal under the hood, mis-fitting body panels, uneven seams, the roof not fitting the top edge of the door, and poor quality paint work on various parts of my car when I bought it.

A shoddy repair will show itself, especially in places that aren't outwardly obvious. But a good quality repair, especially an extensive and high quality job, as was likely done to a car with only 4K miles at the time... is likely to be much more replacement than repair of damaged parts... and if done right, should be square, and sound.

If the car looks good on close examination, there shouldn't be a problem. And even if it isn't perfect, it is still worth putting a gearbox into, to make the car drivable for a good long time to come.

Even with the obvious damage my car has, it is still a fine driver, and will continue to be. Granted, with my car's damage, I would choose another, straighter-condition car as a restoration/modification candidate to put $$$ into. If yours is straight, as is, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 10-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.