View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 01:53 PM

USDM SVX...Install VDT JDM transmission?

Has anyone experience w/ installing Japanese VDT automatic into a US car? The simple form is: Are the TCU computer pin outs compatible and as anyone just plugged a VDT transmission into a US TCU to see if it shifts and drives correctly?

From reading I know we have to change the rear diff to a 3.7 ratio (Nissan has the ring and pinion still available new, worst case). I also read that the speed sensor has been moved on some of the later transmissions, but I understand that the Japanese VDT transmission and the non-VDT SVX units are the same in all respects except for the rear transfer case area and possibly the pinion drive shaft.

I am assuming the transmission electronic shift control should be the same. Has this been confirmed? Can anyone provide a wiring diagram for the Japanese VDT TCU? With this information I can figure it out. My assumption is only difference in the TCU logic is a throttle/speed bases map for the VDT instead of, or in addition to a wheel slip based map of the front drive/rear take up clutch version.

My idea is that if the rest of the transmission control is compatible between a non-VDT and a VDT transmission, so that it shifts and drives OK, then VDT can be controlled with a stand alone unit as used with Group N WRX rally cars 1999-2004 if a person wanted active VDT.

We have a VDT transmission and would like to use it. Any technical information would be a big help, as I do not have ready access to VDT technical information.

==m==
mshields@spdusa.com