View Single Post
Old 10-01-2001, 12:42 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
Hehe.. the Catera is not the next generation Cimmarron (remember those... a Cavalier with some leather and Caddy badges?). It's German built and designed by Opel (A European division of GM). I have driven my parents on many occassions and it's a very solid, nice car. No chintzy GM interior, very high quality. I dislike American cars as much as anyone. Remember, Saab is owned by GM as well, so I guess GM does some things better in Europe.

The Saab Viggen would run almost $40,000. No way I could afford that. Even $27,000 is a huge stretch.

After I hit 100K, everything started going wrong with my SVX. I probably will keep it, but just need a pep talk

Thanks everyone,
jeff
Jeff - What someone else does with his money is not my business, but in your words, "27k is a huge stretch".
I'll partly agree with you that the Catera is a somewhat underrated car in terms of its performance & construction.
That aside, it's hard to pick the car out of a crowd appearance-wise. I don't know what the warranty is on the car, but it's also a bit of an orphan, in that it didn't sell well & parts could be a problem - familiar? Do you see the SVX needing $27,000 worth of repairs in the next 4 years? The Caddy will depreciate a ton in 4 years while you continue to make your monthly payments to the bank. Why not offer to buy your parent's car when they're ready to unload it? At least you know the owner & the car's history.

P.S. The last two GM cars I had were Oldsmobiles. A '70 & a '77.
One had 236K, the other 190K when I sold them. No engine or tranny problems with either. Go figger! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.