View Single Post
Old 10-01-2001, 11:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Thinking of getting another car - talk me out of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
I don't know if I need a reality check or maybe I would be doing a good thing for myself, but I'm thinking of getting another car. A 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport to be exact. It's not a true GM (I'd never own a real GM), but I am very impressed with it. I like the Euro styling, the comfort, and the seeming solidity and quality of it. While I would prefer a Saab 9-3 Viggen, which I can't afford, I am drawn in by the Catera because it is the last year they are making them and there are dramatic discounts as dealers are trying to unload them. Some people are getting them for almost $10,000 under invoice. So, with a $36,000 sticker price, I can probably get one for $27,000. I may be able to afford that, especially with 0% financing.

While I love my SVX and would probably cry if I got rid of it, the uncertainty and unexpected repairs are killing me. In the last year I've replaced: Transmission, both rear bearings, alternator, A/C hose and condensor, and CV axle. My logic would be "wow, I've fixed everything, nothing else can go wrong!" but I've been wrong before on that before and been burned.

I probably just need a good slap in the face, but if anyone is interested in buying a very well maintained SVX with many new parts, let me know! I MAY part with it

Jeff
$36k for a J-body? Isn't it based on the Cavalier chassis?

Me, I'd find the Catera to be a total waste of money. But then I wouldn't touch a GM with a ten-foot pole.

I've also never driven one.

My bias against GM is not totally unfounded. Time and again, they place VERY low in quality and reliability. Every family member I know of that has GMs swears by them - even as they have to replace an engine at 70k miles or head gaskets at 50k. I don't get it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE