View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 04:43 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W
Ah, the ever popular and distasteful game of "insult the Honda owner" is getting played out once again. I would have thought this group was above that level…

So you bought the WRX simply because it has a function hood scoop and didn’t have that wonderful two-tone paint job the 2.5RS has right? The extra power of the turbo engine didn’t have a thing to do with it at all I’m sure. I would venture to say that the power is the main reason you spent the extra money to buy the WRX over the 2.5RS. Now on that thought, you have a car that weighs 2100 pounds (CRX Si in this case) and comes with a 1.6l single overhead cam (SOHC) non-VTEC engine w/ 108hp & ~100ftlb torque. That’s a power to weight ratio of about 19.5lb/1hp (compared to the SVX’s 15.7lb/1hp.) You pull the stock 1.6l SOHC non-VTEC and drop a 1.6l dual overhead cam (DOHC) VTEC out of a Del Sol VTEC, JDM Integra or CRX or a 6th generation Civic Si and that nets you 160hp with ~110ftlb torque. Weight is now about 2185lb and your power to weight ratio is 13.7lb/1hp. Put a 170hp, ~128ftlb torque engine (1.7l or 1.8l DOHC VTEC) out of a Integra GSR in, now its 12.8lb/1hp. A b16b (1.6l DOHC VTEC) engine out of a JDM Civic Type R nets you 185hp w/ ~116ftlb for a power to weight ratio of 11.8lb/1hp. Put a Integra Type R engine (1.8l DOHC VTEC) in, you get 195hp w/ ~130ftlb torque (even more power with a JDM ITR engine) ending with a ratio of 11.2lb/1hp and even lower weight per hp if the engine is tuned for the Japanese domestic market. So yes, tire shredding can easily be done.

Now the idea of putting the engine in may not appeal to you. I’m sure the idea of having a car that has to be run out to 8000+ RPM doesn’t appeal to you. But none of this makes doing an engine swap or other performance modifications to a Honda ricey. I will point out that most of the truly high performance Honda’s that you run into appear very similar to stock. The ones with the big rims and exhausts and stupid looking clear taillight are not the ones that actually perform. I will also point out that many Honda owners find “riced out” civics, etc to be an embarrassment because we automatically get grouped in with them. Speaking of, how about those “riced out” WRXs with the clear tail lights, big wheels and big gaudy appearance parts…fits right in with the Honda’s.

I would speculate that the problem with Honda’s comes from their commonality and low purchase price. Just remember, SVXs sold for a whole lot more then Civics and other Hondas (except some Preludes) at the time they were in production and now cost considerably less to purchase given starting price. The fact that they were more expensive to begin with is hardly a bragging point either unless you bought the car new. Also, the cost of repairs on a SVX rapidly takes it out of the “deal” category unless it’s been completely restored and updated by the previous and now bankrupt former owner.
i didn't want the WRX - its the wife's car. i wanted a base model Forester.
yes, Honda's are GOOD, reliable cars. actually considered one when the wife was shopping for cars. of course, Honda's will be ripped on. that is something that just happens, like when the sun rises every morning.
if you think joking around is beneath this group, you'll be in for a shock. i Iz a bAd HaTerZ!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)