View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Electrical Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Sounds like it, or the belt could be loose. When stopped, the engine is at it's slowest speed so the output of the alternator is greatly reduced.
The symptoms described indicate an alternator fault which has been reported here many times. However the exact cause can be rather obscure because the symptoms are not always properly analysed and described. There is always a better understanding of each individual problem, if the exact trouble lights which are illuminated are specified.

The dash indicator lights test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. As a result pulses of reverse voltage, pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights.

It has been shown that testing battery voltage with a multi meter switched to the alternating current function, can usually disclose the presence of the unwanted current.

Mechanical or other faults involving the alternator, will not result in this exact symptom, which involves the failure of rectifier diodes within the alternator, but additional faults could exist in tandem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!