View Single Post
Old 06-08-2004, 02:26 AM
SVX Appeal

I remember a few years ago I had two friends who had made some chain-mail jackets. (It's an SCA thing.) We went to go pick up someone at the airport, and they thought it'd be fun to wear the jackets.

So they did... They got to the metal detectors and tried to walk through. One of them walked really slowly through the gate and it didn't go off until he pulled his trailing foot through, which had a metal buckle or something. Yes, the slow-moving, thirty-five pound jacket made it through, but the fast-moving boot did not.

Anyway, they both had to take off the jackets. The guards turned 'em inside out. It took about three minutes. Meanwhile, I walked through slowly with my Leatherman without setting off the detector (back when that was allowed.) The guards were so distracted, some grade school aged kid walked around the detector unnoticed. A circus clown on a unicycle with a flame-thrower strapped to his back and with the pilot flame lit, could have waltzed (or rolled) right through completely unchecked.

The guards radioed ahead to the second security gate to let them know who was coming and that they were clean. They got frisked anyway. This time, being a little less distracted, they made me walk through at a normal pace and found my Leatherman, which they let me keep, (as they always used to do,) and let us on through.

They still allow backpacks on busses in Israel, yet a senior citizen with tweezers is a serious threat. Times have changed...