View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Temperature gauge consistently below normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95greensvx View Post
I let my car warm up every morning for ten to fifteen minutes prior to leaving for work and the temperature gauge always reaches normal temp (in the middle of the gauge) but once I begin driving the temperature drops towards the bottom showing that the car is running cold. I am not sure why the engine is doing this. It will continue to run below normal as long as I am moving.

The other problem is the heat is intermittent. It decides to consistently blow out cold air when turned on if the temperature outside is below 50 degrees, if it's warmer than 50 then it will blow out warm air. Not sure if the problems are linked but I have replaced the thermostat already but maybe I got a bad thermostat?? I also have checked the lines going into and out of the heater core and the passenger side one is warm but not hot and the drivers side one is cold so I am assuming I have a clogged heater core (unfortunately) but I have flushed it various times and water comes out just fine so I am thoroughly confused as to what is going on with the temperature gauge and the lack of heat. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
I would guess a stuck open thermostat. Did you replace with a Subaru one? If the tstat is ok then you might have a clogged heater core but that shouldn't cause the temperature to run cold. You would need to have a clogged heater core and a bad temp sender.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything