View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Okay, so justifying going to war with a country because we need to instigate fear tactics?? why Iraq? why not north korea in the first place? what justifies Iraq over the other top twenty? Everyone always goes "TERRORISTS!!! its cause of them" but honestly if we were just going after "threats of terrorism to the US" we would have AT LEAST 8 other countries on the list before Iraq.
Iraq had the money, connections, and will to build stockpiles of nuclear and non-nuclear weapons. They also had a history of supplying weapons to terrorists and helping them in other ways. Before the war, we had every reason to believe that they planned to build WMDs, or perhaps already had. We also were familiar with the country because of operation desert storm. Seemed like a great place to start.

Quote:
I'm not a politician, but neither are any of you. I think things need to be improved over how they are. I dont' know that we have the right to be world police, however when we are acting as such, we need to be the most "just and fair" world police possible.
I don't look at it as being "world police". Sure they can call it that to make it sound nicer. But I look at it as reminding everyone who's the biggest. I think we are pretty darn fair. We have the ability to build some of the most powerful weapons ever known to man, and we don't. Even when other countries who directly threaten us are building stockpiles of WMDs, we don't. Nor do we threaten them with our nuclear arms. Considering what we really could do to these countries, I think we are being pretty fair.

Quote:
When looking at international "unions" if you will, when something doesn't work (ie. the iraqi inspections and such), the process to create new policies, or to follow through with set "punishments" should be simpler than it is. Whether improving it requires disbanding the UN and creating something new, or working on new policy within the UN, i'm not sure.
Well the UN is largely useless, so I would say big changes need to be made, or else the world will revert back to a pre-UN state, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Quote:
And if you're worried about the US's image, starting wars that are widely disputed is usually not the best way to get more "pro US" people PA_SVX.
Might I remind you that Saddam used similiar psychology in Iraq, and the general population was "pro-Saddam". At least outwardly.

Quote:
and one more thing. yes, blowing the hell out of iraq did open up some eyes. however it also had an opposite effect on other countries. like north korea.. they were fairly compliant until that point.
No, they were just waiting for the right time. Might I remind you of the Japanese and the Pearl Harbor incident. Timing.