Thread: Turbo options?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
I will agree with you in some areas, and disagree in others...

the 35R is a versatile product, and it does get used quite often incorrectly But you have to be kidding me, turbos are one of the biggset misunderstood items in the import world and I would lay blame accross 99% of turbocharged aftermarket kits/one off's out there. Equally as important to spool, and more commonly ignored when designing a kit, is the header design to how the system spools.

I would consider the 35r82 -1.06 to probably be the best single unit to fit on a street performance SVX on mid boost. Lan has come to the same conclusion. your only tiff could be weather the .82 or 1.06 hotside is proper. Trial and error must be done to determine that, unless your are einstein or a rocket scienetist and then no doubt you would not be trying to size a turbo on an svx.

I do not understand what you mean by garret making "better" turbos... 360 deg bb cartridges will give you the best spool possible, unless you are talking about VAT's or something rediculous like that. Its all up to the requirements of the system, more importantly the budget, as to weather it fits into your relm. I did not build my motor, and the car runs well even with my small .63 hotside hybrid. My header is properly sized, even if on the large side, and more importantly i have a good quality 38mm Tial wastgate at a proper angle in the convergence of my headers 2-1. Infact, the same design of my header is used on the Rigoli 7s drage car(yes, they use a 3-2-1 design with the stock headers off the engine as i do, only in the front feeding a Gt55)

Eitherway, saying that a proper kit costs x amount of money is rediculous. I have a complete Stainless 304, tig welded kit (including intercooler piping) made to handle the wisconsin winter and i spent less then $3M on everything. I cut costs in areas where you can, and I spent the money on the controls of the system, that will dictate wether my engine starts tomorrow. It just means you are going to have to learn how to do some things yourself, as well as seek out the help of other enthusiasts.
Many GT35R I've seen use the GT30R hotside... with low AR. I'll agree that the 1.06 hotside on a proprer GT35R is a very good combo.. A certain company in Austrailia has done things as silly as put a GT35R into a stock IHI turbine housing. Needless to say while the dynonumbers are not bad, the drivablity is. Spools super late, powerband is very narrow, and ultra sensitive to tuning/knock issues. Put on a true GT35R and it spools far quicker and has a lovely powerband. Even the 1.06 housing spools quicker.

And I don't see how you disagree with me on a good kit costs a certan ammount of money. There is simply the parts you must have to do it right, and if you start from scratch the parts to build a proper turbo kit with a GT35R is going to be no different than a GT30R. Or nearly any other turbo you can name. Sure there is going to be some varience, but by and large a set of 6 720cc.min injectors costs the same as a set of 550. A large tial wastegate costs just a hair more than thier smaller ones. etc. Engine management is enginemanagement, you will need it for both. All I am saying is that for a given set of sources, a good kit is going to cost nearly the same regardless of power (to a point, excluding building the motor). So a junkyard 300HP kit when done right isn't going to be much different in cost than a 400 or 500HP kit. Now its true you can cut alot of corners at lower HP, but I think most know the more corners you cut to start with, the more you spend fixing stuff later.

Now I take your point that you spent a bit more than many people would to get materials that resist your climate. Which to me is only a proper thing to do. I would advise someone in AZ to spend more on intercooling and or waterinjection than someone in Seattle.