View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 12:47 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX
Re: Interior swap blues

OK, final update on this topic.

Clif notes: the car is PA legal, inspected, and on the road! Hooray!

Longer version: I reconnected with the state trooper who filled out the MV-41, and told him I was going for the reissued VIN. He sent in his paperwork, I sent in mine. A few weeks later I got back:
  • a new title, with a "V" indicating "Reissued VIN"
  • a new owner's card, with "Reissued VIN" on it
  • a VIN plate from the state of PA
The VIN plate contains the same VIN as the car got from Subaru, plus another number that I suppose is important to the state. The plate gets attached under the hood on the right-hand side, as close to the firewall as possible. Hocus pocus, ala kazam, I'm legal.

The incorrect VIN from the interior swap is still up on the dash. I think I'll put a piece of tape over it or something. No matter what, the next time a police officer takes an interest in the car there's going to be some 'splainin' to do.

In retrospect: if I knew then what I know now, specifically that the dashboard VIN had to match the title in order to get the car inspected, I would have gotten a VIN plate made and attached it to the dash myself.

At any rate, I'm finally, finally! able to drive the SVX without sticking to back roads and looking over my shoulder the whole time. Now I can really get to know the car. I'm looking forward to it.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss

Last edited by wdb; 11-03-2012 at 12:53 PM.