View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: Functional Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Johnybeas: Im liking that front bumper I also thought about creating a wider stance with a wide body kit. But to do it right, it would involve moving the suspension outward to match the additional width. the VAST majority of people make their cars wider by using more offset on the rims and wider tires. What they dont realize is that they are creating a cornering nightmare. There is something called Scrub Radius when you turn your tires. The further out the edge of the front tires are from the pivot on the steering knuckle, the more it has to rotate to complete the turn. Meaning that your tires have to speed up and rotate quicker than your car is moving in order to complete the movement of the turn. You want that pivot as close to the middle of the wheel as you can to minimize this affect so your not sacrificing traction and speed to corner. Best way to figure this: Draw a straight line from the top center of the strut, past the mounting bolts on the knuckle and continue this to the ground. That line, at the ground should be in the middle of your wheel.

Wow.. That made perfect sense in my head but in text its a hard read..
I'd be interested to read the book this is pulled from. As an ASE certified steering and suspension tech who owns a shop and is purchasing the latest and greatest in Hunter alignment rack with their tuner add on, I'd love to understand more on the aftermarket end. However correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't camber caster plates and adjustable lca's help with the change in offset?