View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Re: Functional Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
The front splitter does indeed extend under the front engine x-member and is designed to smooth out the air under the car.
Smooth is nice, but I'm talking about a front diffuser. Its like the rear diffuser only harder to pull off... and in the front. You couple a splitter with a front diffuser and you get LOTS of front downforce. Ok, well vent the wheelwells and maybe some properly designed canards and you will be there with the other racecars converted from a street car. Not sure how far you want to go to it looking like a DTM. I'll try to find the website that went into the design of the Viper ACR areo package but its some wonderful reading.

as far as the rear spoiler, 8" isn't too high, just recall you can USE the rear spoiler to create clean airflow to itself. This is what the "boyracer" wing on the STi does. It does a good job of sticking the airflow to the rear window where it doesn't on the normal cars. The SVX is.. different than the STi though and I'd hesitate to assume that what works on them will work on the SVX.

I present to you this as another example of how I am thinking to approch balancing your front downforce. Here is some flat sheetmetal with no foil, slope, or whatever. Yet it both produces downforce and reduces drag. More downforce by having a well defined low pressure zone below it and lower drag by smoothing the flow off the car. Now do this with a proper airfoil working with the flow off the top of the trunk lid to increase the downforce to desired levels. Not going to be legal for any road racing class I know of, but I'm thinking that large wings outside the lines of the body have been banned for a reason.