Thread: Popups?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 12:52 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Steve,

I'd agree with Beav on getting more RAM in your system, especially if you're multitasking a lot. All things run in RAM, and if you don't have enough RAM, it use your HD (100's times slower) as RAM (it's a simplified explanation). As an example (these are from my XP machine, but I suspect Win98 would be similar), Windows Exploerer (you have to run it for Windows) is 32Mb, Internet Explorer is 20Mb, MS Word is 14Mb, Outlook is 13Mb, Trillian (my IM) is 11Mb, and add on additional O/S stuff, and you can quickly see how far 256Mb will go. Considering the price of RAM these days, it's probably worth it to get another 256Mb into it.

I'd also consider upgrading to WinXP. WinXP and Win2K loves memory, so I would never install it in a system with 64Mb. I'm running XP on a PIII600 notebook with 320Mb, and for the most part, it's fine other than the slower HD's that are inherent in notebooks. I even have the CPU set to run at 200MHz most of the times for battery power management, and performance is fine. As far as upgrading/fresh installing, if you run the upgrade check from Microsoft, and it doesn't identify any incompatible software, I would go ahead and upgrade to save yourself from reinstalling everything else, and possibly losing your email, etc. It's far more stable than Win98, and if you have enough RAM, far faster than Win98 as well.

Randy,

AdAware may be blocking the avators because it *thinks* it's an Ad. See if there's an option to allow GIF's instead of blocking it.

VK
Victor,
I appreciate the help, however, I doubled my original memory with the addition of the extra 128M stick, and haven't seen much improvement in performance (Yes, the computer recognized the upgrade).

Sometimes I use Wipeout or FreeRam XP Lite (both freeware memory liberators), but still don't notice any difference in resources. It'd be nice if MS just let you select a bigger slice of memory for resources. For the most part though, even though my resources get real low (I seen it as low as 32) my Dell has never shown many ill effects like freezing up or anything.

By the way, I just got a Popup. I've reinstalled Hotbar, and I'm sure that it's the culprit. I'll just have to turn on Popup Stopper and be happy.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>