Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Speed Sensor #1

Phil

I'm no guru, but I'll offer an opinion.

Using the positions of the sensors in the AWD gearbox it's not possible for the FWD transmission to have two speed sensors, nor should they be necessary.

In the VTD type box, VSS1 is always plugged into the actual rear output shaft outside the gearbox measuring the rotation of the rear prop shaft.

There are two types of VSS2. One type lives inside the gearbox for Australian and UK type VTD boxes. The second type reads off the differential output and this type is used in the JDM type VTD and also in the USA type ACT4.

So what I'm suggesting is that because the FWD type gearbox does not have the rear output housing there is no obvious place for the VSS1 sensor to take readings.

In turn this implies that the TCU for the FWD type is different, or at least is programmed differently to account for the fact that only one axle is driven.

This is probably what you would like someone to confirm. It would be best answered by somebody in possession of a full '94 or '95 USA Work Shop Manual. Above is just my best guess.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl