View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 AM

First I want to acknowledge and thank Troy for all his efforts. Troy has constantly put in time and effort into creating the opportunities for the rest of us to have a relationship with other SVX owners so we can get to know people who also enjoy owning these great cars, opportunities to get together for drives, to line 'em up for photo ops, buy NWSVX logo merchandise, get together informally just for the hell of it, get stuck in the snow, etc etc etc.

On his own, Troy decided he wanted a quality online presence for us and for other SVX owners to use to find their way to us, and so he put up nwsvx.com. He didn't poll us or ask if anybody thought it would be a good idea, he just did it. I for one find it damn useful and appreciate having a place to go to find out about the other single-handed SVX projects of his, like the NWSVX merchandise and the terrific Fall Colors tour so many of us enjoyed last November. I know this is all coming out of his pocket and I am willing to support him because these things have value to me. Troy has used the word "membership" and others have used the word "dues". Whether he goes forward with his membership plan or decides to conduct a bake sale is unimportant to me because I will probably slip him a twenty every now and again to fund my part of the $108 it takes to maintain the website he has so graciously provided. (And if he has a bake sale, I'll buy a pie or two.) If anyone cannot afford $20 (or whatever), no one is going to be asked to not use the website or to pls go away. Troy is asking us if it's worth something to us and, if we can participate financially, what ideas do we have on how to provide that financial participation.

For a small informal group like we are, it's important to bear in mind the KISS principle ("keep it simple, stupid": for purposes of illustration, I'll be "stupid"). The object is 1) the car 2) the people 3) the fun 4) a medium for us to all keep in touch. Anything that strays beyond the lines of these objectives becomes a potential for complicating and muddying the intent. We're a small group without the potential to get big because there are just not that many SVX's in our neck of the woods, so a little organization goes a long way. More organization (501c3 non-profit incorporation has been mentioned), while certainly indicated for some groups, does not meet the test of the four objectives (car/people/fun/communication) and would drain money and personal effort away from the Prime Directive. Could it be done? Sure. Is it needed to for us to do what we do? No.

Troy has put together a proposed calendar of events for us that would provide opportunities for us to get together ten or so times this year for a bunch of really fun outings and he has provided the website for us to all keep in touch on these opportunities. He's already handled about all the organization needed. Also, we’ve seen the proof of the pudding in the fabulous work he did in putting on the Fall Colors tour in November, a first class event if ever there was one. Now he's asking for a bit of money to defray his out-of-pocket costs. I encourage him to keep this within the bounds of simplicity as well. It's a service that has value to me and I will participate in whatever way he selects, but it need not be complicated.

That said, I support his plan outlined above: stick to the donation idea, "from person A to person B", with any excess going for awards, prize drawings at meets, giving Chris money for the forums, etc. Raffles or auctions of car wear, care car products or discount certificates donated by car-oriented businesses is also another option to fund the expense of the website. In any event, I trust Troy's judgment. The man doesn't have a dishonest or devious bone in his body. I will help in any way I can.

Thx, Troy, for all you have done and for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your post on this matter.

Last edited by seasvx; 01-06-2004 at 03:09 PM.