Thread: Questions:
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
are the dues going to be a requirement to view the forums?

i contributed when the AC needed upgrading for the server, and that was after i had sold my SVX. however, i really don't see myself paying yearly dues for a car forum when i no longer own that car. quite a few people who no longer own SVXs still like spending time on this place, so don't alienate them.

i've seen the newsletter idea on other forums, and as others have said, it starts out with a lot of enthusiasm, and then is quickly forgotten about. we have the How-To locker, Site News on the main page, and Regional forums for Meets/announcements - what exactly would go in the newsletter anyway?
Alan,
I think the thrust of the dues was to support a newsletter, not limit participation / review of the forums as we know them today. My suggestion was to have a newsletter, but place it (them) in a particular "forum" of the network ((like the "Meets" forum), requireing an individual to be a dues-paying member to view them - this assumes no hardcopy mailed out to individual "dues-paying" members.

Seems there are a several questions here to address:
1) does the SVX Network want a "newsletter"?
2) If so, should it be on-line (electronic) on the current SVX Network or sent out in hardcopy to the dues-paying members?
3) If electronic on the network, then how would only dues-paying members be allowed to view the newsletters? If sent hardcopy, then it would be quite simple to send the newletters to ONLY those paying dues.
4) Who would actually compile and distribute the newsletters?

Bottom line (as I see it), one would NOT have to be a "dues-paying" member to still enjoy the SVX Network forums as we know and love today - I would fight for this to be the case. And a question to add to those above: "Will the difference of only a newsletter warrant the paying of dues - whatever they might be? Depending on the "quality" of the newsletters, I would say, yes.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx