View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Formally Capuano

Help me decide if I should buy that Aluminum Radiator

I have a 1992 "unmodified" Teal SVX with no filter, cooler, or anything else on the transmission. I had to add a pint of ATF last month & I'm sure it's the original fluid. It's only got 37,000 miles. I also smell antifreeze in my garage on a warm day, after a long ride. The radiator is either leaking up near the cap, or boiling there a bit, because the foam rubber near the top is wet with green fluid. It's been recently flushed and filled (last winter), but it's the original plastic multi-shaded radiator. I asked the Suby dealer to check it out & he just dumped in a can of stop leak.

I've been debating whether or not the get that new aluminum radiator for this car. The fact that it has no tranny cooler could prompt me to do this, rather than spend the money for an add-on cooler. I also have a red '94 with an "all black" plastic radiator (original, as far as I know) with 141,000 miles on it, so I figured I could uses the teally's radiator as a spare if the red one's craps out on me some day.

Sound like a good plan? Does it REALLY only take an hour or two to change the radiator on these beasts? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I can change a thermostat, hoses, etc. and am somewhat mechanically inclined.

Cap

'94 LSi Barcelona Red 158,000 miles
'92 LS-L Dark Teal 47,000 miles
'95 Olds Acheiva 104,000 miles
'85 Audi 4000 135,000 miles
'87 Supra 129,000 miles - 2nd JDM engine