View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Re: Twin turbo TD04-13T project: Journey to 300+whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Ringland failures in the EG33 has been, at least from my accounts, totally related to detonation. This due to poor tuning. Even totally stock engines have shown me det burns on the outer edges of the pistons likely due to bad gas. The pistons can take 300 whp, tuning is the issue.

In all honesty, if you are splitting the bolck, why would you use stock pistons?? They are a restriction to how much power you can make due to the compression. Get a set of custom low compression pistons made, don't sidestep your build with shaving stock pistons.

Pay attention to your bottom end. Slightly larger oil clearances with a high volume oil pump and some good bearings is a start. H-beam rods and ACL race bearings is a good finish. Running a 40weight oil is also a good idea to help maintain a better oil pressure and keeping the bottom end wet.

ringlands break from detonation before they will from power

Tom
Thank you for chiming in Tom! Simply put, a set of 1100$ pistons will put this build on hold for a good two years at my current income rate. I'm not trying to 'rush' it but I don't want reliability issues either(counter-intuitive I know).

Almost every 'built to withstand xxxhp' engine I've seen needs to be rebuilt frequently. I figure, as long as everything is healthy in the engine, keep it oem spec and make it as boost friendly as possible in stock-form with 100% oe components(or as near to factory as my plans allow). If I can find them I'll get OE bearings and freshen things up and spec out the crank while I'm there.

Last edited by BackWoodsBob; 08-11-2013 at 08:54 AM.