View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Re: Twin turbo TD04-13T project: Journey to 300+whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Does anyone search these days???

The ring lands blow apart from heat/detonation and in almost all cases, it is cyl #5 that goes (first).
Again, I've never seen this be an issue with eg33 builds. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I simply have never seen it talked about. Most likely due to the builders doing everything they can to eliminate the chances of detonation. Which, any build should be focused on getting as much power, while retaining the highest reliability as possible. And that is my goal. Eventually to reach 300whp (either with a 4eat or 5spd) and most likely on a slightly built engine. (read, not 300whp on my current engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Does anyone search these days???

But again, it's absolutely pointless to do rods on this engine. If you're going to upgrade anything internal, it needs to be the pistons first. Anything else, is simply a waste.

I've searched for quite a while, and have spent hours upon hours reading build threads and speculation about the eg33 in both NA form and forced induction form. Not one thread I've read mentions the pistons being weak nor needing 'upgraded before the rods'. I'm not saying you're wrong, simply that I've never seen this being said before.

Bazza is an excellent case. He's running stock pistons with trimmed rings, 10psi on a GT35R pushing over 350whp and he upgraded his rods.

Last edited by BackWoodsBob; 08-10-2013 at 04:17 PM.