View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Re: Remote Mount Turbo

@ cthommes answers for your questions.

1) as everything is mounted right now, there is the factory exhaust hanger located just in front of the muffler (on a stock setup) and that is what is bearing the weight of the turbo at this point. I do plan on tying into the remaining factory mounts at the back bumper side.

2) I am not certain, but I would think that any turbo sized for the application would be spinning at idle, regardless of where it was mounted in the exhaust stream. I think this turbo (GT35) is a touch on the to big side and that is why is doesn't spin at idle. It will spin when the car is first started and is at high idle but once warmed and it idles down it doesn't spin. I believe if I were using something smaller like say a GT30 it would spin at idle, being that a smaller turbo would have less weight for the exhaust stream to overcome. I am not 100% sure but this sounds accurate to me.

3)I agree with you on this note. I was simply referring to it having a chance to cool and contract slightly so instead of exhaust hitting the turbine in say 90% pulses and 10% steady flow in a typical setup, this setup may be in the range of 40% pulses and 60% steady flow (the numbers are just for example)

4) thank you for the tip. Lucky for me I haven't tried to give her all she's got, but none the less I hadn't thought about overspinning the turbo, and now that you have posted that it makes sense about the intake restriction, so thanks.

I appreciate the questions and suggestions from everyone, Keep in mind tho that this is not the final product, at this point it is still in the mock up/ experiment stage, I was actually surprised with how well it's going, I planned on a few leaks here, and having to install and then uninstall a few times to get the kinks worked out.

I am pretty stubborn and hard headed, a lot of people here around me didn't think it would work, or didn't understand how it would work and there fore were dismissive of the idea. I am glad the "board" as a whole is keeping me on my toes, because your ideas and suggestions are helping to be sure I don't overlook something.

An update on the build, I just got an e-mail that the stage 2 tune has shipped, I would like to do the engine swap this weekend, but I am gonna have to arm wrestle my wife (she wants to do something this weekend) or push it off to the following weekend. I can get my brakes knocked though and possibly get the MAF mounted. We will have to see.