View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 09:59 PM

Congratulations on your first car. For the way it looks in the picture $500 is a good deal, it's worth more than that just as a parts car (but hope you would not do that as so few were made).

If you get the transmission fixed, it's worth would jump to probably $3000 even with the other problems. I would pick up a Chilton's manual at the least, and definitely search on this forum for each item of concern.

I do have a few cautions that won't seem very friendly, but are really meant in a good way....

Perhaps you will be the exception, but my experience is that 90% of new drivers end up trashing their first car. Not because they are bad, just inexperienced - too much gas pedal, too much brake - when true speed is in being smooth and consistent.

The SVX was not a cheap car when sold new. You wouldn't expect to buy a Ferrari and live with it on a peanuts budget. And you shouldn't expect that from the SVX, even with Japanese engineering quality.

So, I'm hoping I haven't angered you, I just want you to be aware of what you're taking on. Best of luck, it's a unique car in a lot of ways - certainly the most affordable Grand Touring vehicle available on the market today (IMHO).