View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Cars and Crabs by the Bay? (MD, late Sept)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancycargal View Post
Well, here's the deal. At the risk of seeming wishy-washy, with this being the mini-ist of mini-meets, we can decide time and place. The alternatives:

A good suggestion: Hemingway's Restaurant. On the Bay, great view, a bit more upscale, when windows are open there can be traffic noise from the Bridge, does not have steamed crabs but does have a big parking lot with shade where we could meet undisturbed. Either Sat or Sunday is fine there. (Directions: from Route 50, take Exit 37 heading South on Rt. 8; this exit is just East of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Then very soon, at the light, take the first right onto Pier 1 Rd. Follow it to the end.)

My original choice: Kentmorr Restaurant and Crab House. It's by the Bay, with a big room on the marina (open on nice days, heated when cold), suitable for hanging out, full menu with steamed crabs, parking is just OK. They have a big wedding on the 27th, which is why I made the meet for the 28th in a previous email. It's five miles more South on Rt. 8, off another curvy road.

If the thread goes silent, I’ll be sitting in the parking lot at Hemingway’s around 11:30 on Sunday the 28th wondering what I said wrong! Warning - Whoever shows will be solicited to provide advice about how/if to arrange a full-scale crabfest for next year….

If you have preferences, send ‘em in! If getting messy isn't a priority, and/or you prefer Sat, we can go to Hemingway's and stay there.

Nancy

Nancy,
If you had some crabs and a place to pitch a tent and build a fire, you would have better luck.
15 years ago, the SVX was for Doctors and Lawyers. Now, it is more 'treasured' by the younger folks that don't really have the 'means' to enjoy 'upscale', but have an interest in preserving our little piece of 'History'.

The demographics have taken an 180 degree turn. Most of the members here are under 30 years old and bought their first SVX for less than $3,000.

The 'searches' I did a few months ago showed the value of our cars to be less than what a demolition derby Chrysler would bring.

(We are pushing the value of these cars up with each meet!! )
If you don't get the response you expected, blame the economy!! The members have to select a few events that they can afford to attend and beg out on the others.
We had the same problems with our local events! Registration was WAY off!
People are scared to spend money right now.

I hope that you get enough members to pull your 'gig' off!

If you try it next year, I will try my best to make it.

Last year, I booked a live band for our mini-meet. This year, I'm struggling to buy fuel to get to work!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry