View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Its about time Apple gets called on the carpet for their non-user replaceable battery stance. The iPhone is the first cell phone in history to have a non-replaceable battery. I had a bag phone in 1985 that had a replaceable battery.
It is replaceable. Just not user replaceable. Just like the iPod, which as I've said before, is clearly not hard to replace. Here's a video of how to replace the 'non replaceable' iPod battery:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-qCIBW2-lw

Quote:
Apple makes devices with built in batteries simply as a future profit generating measure, nothing more. Lithium Ion batteries have a great power capacity at the expense of an overall short life span.
This is untrue. Lithium ion batteries have a decent lifespan, what you are probably referring to is how short they last in laptops... this is because of HEAT. Heat is a lithium ion batteries enemy, and severely shortens its life. But saying they have 'short lives' is simply hogwash. Their lifespan starts to shorten as soon as they produced, however, which is unlike other battery technologies.

Quote:
Apple knows this and does not include any refresh, or float maintenance circuitry in their products. Hell, my DeWalt cordless tools have maintenance float chargers with logic controls to keep the battery as close to 100% charge capacity as possible. You can safely "top off" Lion batteries with the proper charger. Apple chooses to to keep the product lifespan short to coincide with their next version hardware release.
My powerbook has a lithium ion battery, with everything you just described.

Quote:
Apple knows that the recommended charging/discharging to keep the iPhone at peak performance are not in line with how people will use them. People count on their phone and thus throw it on the charger every night or two to "top it off" so they don't have to worry about it the next day. If you follow Apple's recommendation, you will use the phone down to 8-10% battery capacity, fully charge it, repeat. So use the phone until the recommended charge level, then stop doing business for the next few hours when it is finally discharged to 10% at 9:30 AM? Unrealistic and they plan on that.
It's a lithium ion battery. It can be recharged whenever, and the more often, the better. The whole 'discharge until it's almost dead and THEN recharge it' only applies to batteries of a different technology, like NiCads.