View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 05:51 PM
move_right

I don't agree

sorry sea sleeper, I don't want to make enemies especially as new as I am to the community so with ALL due respect, I disagree. as a technician I can hoestly tell you that an air mass meter reading does not effect 02 codes. atleast not 95% of the time. you would get 2 codes. the reason for this is because the 02 sensor does not cross reference anything with an ECM. the 02 sensors' ONLY job is to keep the catalyst alive. it JUST SO HAPPENS that a perfect burn is 14.7 a/f ratio. so, while the computer is in closed loop operation(using 02 sensor and TP sensor to make decisions) the 02 sensor is constantly trimming fuel to meet an AFR of 14.7:1. remember, the 02 sensor is measuring parts air not fuel. if you do not have a rear 02 sensor, this is probably attributed to an untrained tech seeing a bank 2 sensor or something and thinking it means the rear 02 sensor. we all know that obd1 cars have no rear 02 sensor. atleast not most.

a word on air mass meters. air mass meters measure air MASS. not pressure or speed(that would be a speed density car using a MAP sensor to calculate fuel). air mass meters on this car are hotwire style sensors. they have a wire that they heat through a controlled short circuit and measure how quickly they cool, cross it with a linear resistance table and subsequently supply fuel accordingly. it is true that an air mass meter could be taking a dump and not supply a proper signal thus causing too little or too much fuel however as long as they do not cross their voltage threshold you get no codes. it has been my experience that a MAF causing an over or underfueling problem is so far out of it's voltage range you get a MAF code. could you get an 02 code as well? maybe, but you would have both and not just one.

I would pull the codes yourself, list them here, and we'll do our best to diagnose the car online to save you cash.

if you are so inclined, you can monitor your 02 sensors via a voltmeter. just check the signal wire with ground and see what you get with the engine idling. you should see it switching back and forth somewhere between roughly .2 and .8 volts evenly but at a brisk pace. there are a number of 02 codes and problems that cause them but this is a good way to check the sensors general operation.

since you have 2, if only one is sticking somewhere, it is a bad sensor. if BOTH are sticking either to a low voltage or high voltage then I would investigate the MAF voltages..

just my 1 cent. 2 is simply overkill on my budget.

Last edited by move_right; 06-14-2005 at 05:58 PM. Reason: mistype