Thread: Tranny question
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 08:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Unhappy Tranny question

My anxiety has finally built up to the point where I'll ask somebody about it.

When we were installing the new tranny onver the weekend, we found that we couldn't bolt it on. Something was binding, and we decided that we had to drop the tranny again and check that the torque converter was fit correctly. While examining the old tranny, I found that the input shaft (I think that's what it is - it's the innermost shaft) could slide out and get stuck so that the torque converter couldn't fit on correctly.

I found that I was able to fit the input shaft in all the way after a bit of fidgeting. It was sort of like picking a lock - it felt like multiple things had to be aligned inside before the shaft would fit in completely and allow the torque converter to seat completely.

Now what I'm paranoid about is shredding the tranny in the first few feet, once I roll it out of the garage. All kinds of situations play out in my mind, usually ending with the horrible noises that the kid in the GSX heard when his engine ate itself.

Nothings binding up - we were able to turn the engine over via the crank pulley again and again after the torque converter was bolted to the drive plate. Still, I'm worried. Is there anything I could have effed up? I don't want to drop and install the tranny for a third time (neither does my father-in-law, I'm sure), but between that and ripping up a good working tranny, I'll do it.

Thanks.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE