View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.McCaw
A week ago after one year and 10 days of a new alternator my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. No problem the Subaru dealer installed a new one even though my guarantee had expired by 10 days. So tonight on the way home from fish and chips at the docks it lit up again. Any ideas what could be causing this guys….for tomorrow morning I will be back at the dealers and could use some insite.

Tom
The symptoms you describe indicate an alternator fault which has been reported here many times. However the exact cause is rather obscure and the reason, as far as I am aware, has not been previously analysed and described.

The dash trouble indicator lights test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. The result is pulses of reverse voltage, dependant on engine revs., which pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights accordingly.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!