View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 08:11 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX
Re: DDM Tuning (Apexcone HID's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svx95 View Post
SoobCrazy, you do know our low beam housing is a projector not a reflector housing, right?...
Did you read the link I posted in my original post? If not, go back and read that first, I'll wait...

OK, now I'll lay this out for you as simply as I can: It does not matter the physical style of lamp, whether it is a reflector, projector, free-form reflector or anything else. If the lamp was designed for a halogen bulb, you CANNOT simply swap in an HID or LED bulb and go.

The problem with swapping in bulbs of different construction is that the lamp housing was designed for the specific shape of the light source produced by the bulb. Halogen lamps use filaments, shaped like a line "l". HIDs produce an arc of electricity ")". LEDs produce a single point of light "."

So, when you put a HID/LED bulb into a halogen lamp what happens? As the light leaves its source the first thing it will hit is the reflector. Now this reflector was specifically designed and tuned to bounce the light and re-aim it to the correct spot down the road. IF the light hits the reflector from a new angle, there is no chance the light will be re-aimed properly.

"But my lamps have projectors!" you cry. That doesn't matter at all. The projector and its reflector, and the geometry designed into the assembly, are still designed for a halogen bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486
It would be interesting if someone who knew about this stuff could actually test the SVX's light patterns with and and without HID and give us a comparison. I am really curious if it really is a problem or not. They are a pretty common upgrade and it would be nice to see better at night.
Being employed as an engineer at a major vehicle manufacturer I can tell you, there is no testing necessary. Provided the required angles and dimensions form the SVX's headlamp I can prove this "theory" with simple math. Physics will not allow PnP kits to "just work".

If you honestly want to improve your night vision here are your options:

1) Install better halogen bulbs.
2) Bake open your headlamp housings and retrofit in an HID or LED lamp assembly from a vehicle with those lamps factory-installed.
3) Add appropriate auxiliary lighting and cover when not in use (Driving lamps, etc.)

We are all "the other driver," so be thoughtful and courteous with your modifications.

I highly suggest everyone look a little deeper at lighting "upgrades" in the future. Just because it's cheap, easy to do and everyone around you is doing it, doesn't mean it's correct or safe.