View Single Post
Old 04-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Ranmatchi

Japanese Radios

Hey,

After living in Japan and working on translating some of the JDM manual for people, here's what I can tell you about the radio, or just Japanese radios in general.

The SVX Radio in the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) SVX seems to have some additional options -- some EQ presets such as POP, SOFT, etc... I believe the power output is the same, and the connections are the same as well. The "Super Live" refrence may have something to do with the different EQ settings on the stereo. (It's been so long since I've had my SVX that I can't remember if the USDM one's had those EQ options?)

The Japanese car radio is different from the American counter part, in that, Japanese car stereos all have (perhaps required to) have a button which is easily accessible for quick access to the 'road traffic information channel'. It's a certain frequency on the AM band (not sure what, though) and is also used to broadcast information about natural disasters in a time of emergency; much like the Civil Defense stations back in the Cold War. The symbol used on these buttons (the three curved lines) is universal, and you usually can press it again to switch back to the station you were listening to. Also, you'd be somewhat limited in what you could listen to on the radio over here, as the Japanese band for AM is 522 to 1629, and FM is 76.0 to 90.0. Anything in the 100's is TV broadcast....so you'd kinda be limited in what you could listen to over here.