View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 07:23 AM
95_Lsi

Exclamation Severe smoking, pls help!!

Hello everyone from your newest member! I have a severe problem. My 95 SVX Lsi (black w/ tan interior, in case anyone was wondering) has started to smoke severley when cold.
It is definately oil smoke. It smokes like an insect control sprayer truck when first started and eventually stops after a while. (A while meaning 10-15 minutes of driving). After that it seems to clear up.
My first thought when I saw smoke was head gasket, but coolant level is fine.
I have seen a mechanic who thinks that the oil rings are frozen. This doesn't seem to make sense for a couple of reasons: 1. The car has been meticulously cared for , oil changes, etc. 2. If the oil rings were shot wouldn't it smoke all the time??
Another mechanic (friend of mine) thinks it could be valve seals, when engine is off oil runs past seals into cylinders. Upon starting oil burns off.
Someone on another SVX message board suggested PCV valve but it seems like a lot of smoke for a PCV valve.
I don't yet know how much oil is burnt per 500 or 1000 miles because I really haven't been driving her much since the problem started.
Back in the day I was competent enough to build (and re-build) a few muscle cars like a 440 road runner, 454 chevelle, 351c mustang, etc. and up until about 94 I've always done my own work so I'm not a total numbnuts when it comes to cars.
This one's got me stumped. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!