View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3000
I'm finally going to put a tranny cooler on my poor car.

It's a '92 LSL without any external filter. I'm going to add a filter and cooler.

The cooler I bought is 11"x6"x1.5", so i'm not sure it'll be thin enough to put in front of the condenser but if it is I'll put it there. Otherwise it's going in the d-side fender, like in the How-To doc.

My main question is should I put it in paralell or series? As far as I know the radiator is stock so it has the mesh in it. I considered cleaning the mesh by manually forcing some tranny fluid through the cooler in reverse (into a bucket), thus pushing out the gunk that may be there.

If I put it in series, it will run all the fluid through twice, thus getting it cooler.

If I put it in paralell, the fluid can completely bypass the clogged line if it so desires.

Advice? Opinions?
Thanks a lot.

--Mike
Yes do that Mike, reverse flush the cooler in the bottom of the radiator. Then set it up in series, with the filter first, then the additional cooler, then the OE water cooler, back to the box.

The filter will catch the crap, the additional cooler will remove the extra heat, and the water cooler will ensure that the ATF remains at the right temperature.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.