View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 PM

Re: Engine Rebuild Components Q's

I went cometic headgaskets as well, very much worth the money, the OEM are single layer coated and you can just expect them to fail again. I however went with new OEM headbolts. If they are torqued correctly they will hold just as much as ARP studs and require no maintenance or retorqueing like the ARP studs do after a few heat cycles.

If you are getting this deep and are buying pistons anyway, it may be worth sourcing forged pistons. They are the weakest part of the motor. I know in the past CP has made pistons for the SVX, lower compression however. I have a set in my motor. The best thing to do is to talk to some of the major companies and inquire about stock forged pistons for the SVX. New pistons from those companies normally include a new pin and new rings as well, being a whole package should make it more cost effective than sourcing every part from subaru individually.

Forged rods exist everywhere also however the OEM subaru rods are plenty strong enough for you. I would suggest ARP rod bolts however, as the bolts are what are known to fail, not the rods.