View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Engine Rebuild Components Q's

So I have my engine out and pretty much torn down to the short block. I am deciding at 208k if I should go ahead and do a complete rebuild. Looking for options on the following (I have no plan to race or boost)

Pistons: Subaru? they have both STD and .25 over

Rings: Subaru both STD and .25 over. The ring set is $300. Are there other options that might be cheaper? Like EJ22 rings or is the SVX unique in this as well?

Main / Rod bearings: Subaru both STD and .25 over, but again at $300. I remember reading somewhere that EJ22 sets work (2 sets needed). Can anyone give some information on these?

I plan on doing Oil pump/ Water pump / timing belt.

Machine work will include the heads as well. I am still pricing this out. If I cannot find rings/bearings for less than $300 I might have to pass as the pistons will be $350+.

Looking for input in general as well. I just am learning towards doing this at its age and mileage. Have a complete reseal kit . Any other suggestions ?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles