View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 PM

Re: Turbo, piggy-back, and EG33 boost questions

Since the number of SVX out there is so low, that's the main reason you don't see many that are boosted, I would say. Not many people want to spend the time or effort on a car where they would literally have to start from scratch.

I see no problem in boosting the motor like you say though. I do plenty of fab work myself, and don't see any major problems with putting 6-10 psi of boost on one of these motors. As you say; watch your AFR's, knock, and keep your IAT's low, and there's no reason you couldn't get another 75 horse out of these without touching the bottom end in even the most basic setup. It's lack of R&D on these that scares people, most kids pick up these cars, and go ZOMG AWD 230 hp amazing!! And don't realize that if you want something for these cars, you literally have to make it yourself.

Weight in and of itself is not an issue, but obviously it is a contributing factor when doing a timing map, which would obviously affect horsepower. These cars are no heavier than a newer LGT, and obviously they are still capable of bigger HP numbers.

The EG33 itself if it had a proper standalone and an experienced tuner behind the helm, would not be the weak link. I see no reason that a motor in good shape could not put out 500 hp on the stock bottom end. Tuning and engine management techniques and computers are SO far beyond what they were even 5 years ago, the amount of precision just keeps going up and up, allowing for higher and safer Hp numbers.

My long term project is to reverse the exhaust manifolds, and do a low mount twin turbo setup. With some planning and time, you could make whatever you want! Put that with the stock 3.54 gears with a built tranny and you would have a highway monster.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!