Thread: 110 leaded
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 04:29 PM

Re: 110 leaded

Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
just a little Q. In idaho you can get 110 octane trick racing fuel from the pumps. I read that the minimum an SVX should use in 91 octane. Is it kosher to run one gallon of trick in a full tank of 91 or 93 octane?
I did just a squirt some time ago, not more than .082 of a gallon. and it didn't seem to hurt the car. There wasn't that much race fuel in the tank but it seemed like it actually did help somewhat.
let me know if it is cool to mix 91 and trick race gas.
If your SVX is knock limited for some reason, i.e., the ECU is retarding timing due to the knock sensors, then upgrading octane number "might" help and the ecu "might" respond. I say "might" because I'm sure there's some electronic limit to the amount of advance it will produce.

if you are not experiencing knocking, then increasing the octane number is a waste (of money if nothing else). Remember, the only major difference between lower and higher octane fuel has to do with how fast the fuel ignites when compressed. Higher octane is more resistant to spontaneous ignition, i.e., harder to start the fire - somehow seems backward from what you'd think but it's true. BTW, originally higher octane fuel meant there was actually more Octane (8 carbon atom) in the fuel when compared to the amount of Heptane (7 carbon atom - usually given an "octane" rating of zero if I remember correctly).

see comment on leaded fuel above, it WILL ruin the cats.