View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: '94 FWD transmission non conversion swap questions

I will attempt to answer your questions;

1. yes,yes,yes

2. If you can find a 3.9 FWD go for it.I can't speak for how much of a difference you will see from 3.7 to 3.9 but I can't imagine its huge.

3. Not sure, I know early imprezas had FWD

4. No TCU change is needed, keep the FWD with FWD and you will be fine.

5. No it should be fine. there is a gear mechanism in the transmissions that give speed based on rotation. You do not need worry about that. Although I think higher ratio might put it off a slight bit (I am not 100% but nothing to be worried about).

6. Not that you can, but avoid Phase II 4EATs (not compatible nor come FWD)

7. Not sure of any in the US anyways. I believe the loyales and etc were all 4wd that came turbo.

8.No, you can pull the old stubs if needed and put them in the new trans. IIRC they should all be male and correct spline count.

9. No should all plug and play

10. No but you should change it when you put it in to be sure.

11. All the shift kits do is raise the pressure, I don't think anyone has confirmed that it helps in the long run.

12. Front drivers side wheel well (in front of the tire). If you live in a climate that gets cold you might run into problems with the tempature not reaching the correct operating temp. If so you will have the TC unlock at highway speeds if I recall correctly. I lived in central NC and had a cooler on my FWD. I don't recall running into this problem but it wasn't usually below freezing.

13. You can do either but if you do it here the search will pick up on everything you asked and hopefully provide some feedback from you.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles