View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Accessing the lighter socket/housing

Gee has it been 6 months since the last post here?
WOOHOO I finally bit the bullet and finished the stereo install. Legacy/Outback stereo 6-disk changer. What a nice unit, and again it looks like it was designed for it. BUT dang what a tight fit! No modifications necessary for the door, the knob clears.
One thing on my install that divurged from svxdc's EXCELLENT INSTRUCTIONS was the need for the 24" antenna cable extension. After installing with the extension, no radio reception (must have been a bad cable). Anyway, while sitting in the car staring at it for awhile, it dawned on me that the original antenna cable would work with inches to spare. So not sure on the rationale although no doubt there is in some cases.
The unit works perfectly with the power antenna, lowering it when playing CDs and raising for radio. I'm always amazed when something works!
As for the cigarette lighter socket replacement, and related console disassembly, that's going to have to wait for next time.
I can't leave this without putting in a plug for svxdc's wiring harnesses. They make this install possible for someone of my limited electrical knowledge. The same goes for his install write-up. Priceless.

jnj7707@yahoo.com