View Single Post
Old 07-11-2001, 09:36 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Unhappy Strange Pulley Problem

Ok this was kind of weird. I came out to my SVX today started it up and drove my was to work. When I got there, I noticed I completely forgot my laptop, and had to quickly run back home to get it. Yes it is one of those days.

Anyways, when I put the car into park, I noticed a very loud noise coming from the front end. Sounded like a belt slipping, just louder than other belts I have heard before. I tured off my AC to see if I could here it better...the noise went (pretty much) away. I chalked this up to a loose belt or something of that respect going to my AC compressor, and seeing I was already late for work...quickly headed home.

Well I got home, this time with no AC on and put the car in park...only to hear the same noise again. This worried me, something else must be up. I popped the hood only to discover something terribly had gone wrong with my main crank pulley.

The pulley, have what I if I remember is called a harmonic balancer built into it, had seperated. The center of the pulley containing the bolt was in its normal position, however the outer ring had slipped from its kind of gel like center. It was not about 1/2" - 1" towards my engine, and now rubbing into the cover for my timing belt.

Have anyone encountered anything like this before?? If so, do you think I could just push it back onto the center, or is it full replacement time?

Eddy you probably have seen this before...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan