View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 11:47 PM

Auto Transmission Newbie Question

OK, so I am not only a newbie to the SVX, I am also a newbie to automatic transmissions.

I have not owned a vehicle with an automatic since I was in high school (with my 1965 Plymouth Valiant station wagon )
I had sworn not to ever buy a slush-box, but I fell for this beautiful SVX and looked passed that.
Now I find that I am enjoying the relaxed drive and the disconnection. It is very nice in creeping traffic. I bet most rear-enders are performed by people driving auto. It is so easy to not pay attention.

The fist thing I did was replace the external filter, but I failed to pre-fill the new filter with fluid. Will this cause an air pocket in the system and do damage? If so, how do I bleed the air from the system?

What is the shift from 2-3 supposed to feel like?
When I got the car, there was a time lag of about 2 seconds between what felt like 2 shifts (but only a single gear was changed) , and the engine felt as if it was straining against some resistance.
I did some reading up on the transmission and came across the brake belt adjustment procedure, so I completed the adjustment on my transmission. After the adjustment, the time lag shortened to about ¾ of a second between what feels like 2 shifts.
Once the car is fully warmed up, the shifts feel almost as one (sometimes).

The transmission shifts solid 1-2 and 3-4.
I read about a transfer from one “drum” to another when the transmission shifts from 2-3.
Is this what I am feeling? Is the timing off on some solenoids? Can I adjust them?

Cheers,
Tim