View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
< Peter Windsor just said that it's never been as common as some people think it should be>

It's possible he was set up by Dave's wording of the question.
Perhaps he felt F1 was being criticized by by Nascar or IRL fans, used to dozens of leads changes per race. If that was the case, then COMPARED TO THOSE then F1 has never been about overtaking. He never said that though, and made it out to be only the kind of technological exercise that I lampooned with my previous post.

There is some good, sometimes even great, passing going on, but if some national television networks have all their cameras trained on THEIR GUY lap after lap, or we get half the coverage with Michael in the picture...and no one else, then the coverage needs to change. The best pictures in F1 are on-board cameras showing someone setting up someone else for a pass. Turning out fast laps...one after the other...that is a great skill, and Michael is the best at that. I just want to see the skills of a Sato trying to pass a Webber. If the battles that ARE fought out on the track are at least COVERED, most of the critics will be happy. Some wouldn't be happy in hell with an air conditioner...or a Bud.

I have watched in the crowd at an F1 race....without the benefit of giant screens and replays. You can see only a portion of the track from your position. What do you look for? Changes in position from lap to lap! Use the old stopwatch to see who is closing or falling back. Love it! Or the next time around Hunt got around Watson and lets see if he can close on Niki....great stuff. The television needs to be done more from a fans point of view than whatever pressures are on some guy in the booth.

Lets look forward to an entertaining German Grand Prix!

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"