View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Making a pass at it

I saw the same interview, and enjoyed most of it, until I heard Dave use the word "boring" and "lack of passing" like they were equal terms. They are not. Then came...

......"F1 racing has never been about overtaking"....

Really Peter? Then why in the hell is everyone wasting their time and money with a "race" then? The fastest qualifier wins, the second fastest comes in second...etc. That will cut the budgets down greatly! You will only have to tune the car for a couple of laps...heck, even a Minardi can last that long. People turn out for qualifying anyway, just count that as race day. Speed Channel covers qualifying....even practice...and you still have television revenue. Now you will have to throw in a pit stop with the qualifying, as the only real "overtaking" will be done in the pits. Wow the pressure....the drama!

OK...I have taken my tongue out of my cheek and put it back where it belongs. If I were a driver on a starting grid....set by my qualification time....what would be the purpose of racing if I had
no hope....no chance....no need...TO OVERTAKE ANYBODY? We aren't talking about Nascar or IRL where you can have two leaders per lap.....just an occasionaly pass here and there.
If Juan Pablo lines up behind Michael, does he just EXPECT to stay in that position? "Oh darn, he outqualified me so I will just try to hold my position. Perhaps my pit crew will actually put me out ahead of him so that I can win!" Remember, "F1 has never been about overtaking". All the passing is to be done by the...pit crew? Maybe I need to start learning their names....
Balderdash.....The greatest runs in all of racing have been catching up to, and passing someone! If overtaking is not important, then they need to start building some very large grandstands at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

I am enjoying the Shumacher/Ferrari freight train as much as anybody.... they are perfection at the moment... but let the television cover the real racing back in the pack....you know, where they behave so un-F1 like by "overtaking"!

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 07-17-2004 at 10:25 PM.