View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: recommended maintenance: replace vacuum hoses at 100K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Tony,

If you are going to pull the engine to do the head gaskets, replacing other parts will be a piece of cake.

The idler pulleys and the water pump are probably fine to leave alone. But since the timing belt is recommended to be replaced at 60K, you can replace it for just the cost of the belt if needed, rather than reinstall the old one. Maybe look into a new timing belt tensioner as well

Doing the vacuum lines under the manifold is a definite must, plus a new PCV valve, which is very easy now.

Plugs and valve cover gaskets will now be a piece of cake, so do them. The money you spend now is much cheaper than the amount you would have to spend later on labor with the engine back in the car.

Since you are draining the coolant and putting in new, a new thermostat and both radiator hoses are recommended.

Look at THIS PDF FILE for SVX maintenance items, part numbers and prices

When you say timing belt tensioner, are you talking about the pulley or the actual hydraulic actuator?

I get what you are saying about the belt.

On the valve cover gaskets, the originals lasted 15 years and 80K miles. I have put 70K miles on the car since but it has only been 8 years. Do you really think these need to be done? I am on the fence on this one. If so, do these need to be from Subaru or would one of the aftermarket kits with all the seals be fine? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...70516&jsn=3630

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 03-20-2019 at 04:29 PM.