View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I have the following set up for over a year now. While pushing hard and accelerating up a two mile hill with many sharp turns my temp's will reach 100* over ambient. While cruising on the highway with the TC locked it is like I said earlier about 60* above ambient. If I can get on the highway without first heating up the ATF, then it stays closer to 50* over ambient. Also as you will see, I am measuring the temperature of the fluid immediately after it leaves the trans, I'm guessing this is the "high" spot on the temperature path???

- Transmission to black steel "T" fitting with temperature sender. I used 1/2" npt fittings to minimize restricting the flow.
- I removed the metal lines that run under the head, and have rubber lines running the whole way. I'm not sure if the fluid picks up any heat while running through metal lines attached to the head, but I assumed that it did and eliminated them. This also make installation easier.
- From the sender the fluid goes to a Perma-Cool Filter #10678, I have this mounted in the area of the original filter, along the frame rail, below the battery.
- From the filter I bypass the stock cooler and the line goes to a B&M #70255 16,000 gvw, 9800 BTU cooler. I have the cooler mounted in front of condenser. It fits vertically between the rad supports. There is room for another identical filter on the other side.
- The line then returns to the transmission.

It appears that my cooler is much smaller than yours, but the temperatures are about the same. My first guess to explain this is my placement in front of the condenser.

If I take the car to the Dragon this year, I plan to get an identical cooler and run with both installed. When I do this, I will also change the set up to include the stock cooler in the radiator, during the winter I had issues with the temperatures being too low while on the highway resulting in the TC unlocking. I'm not sure if I will plumb them parallel, in series or a combination?

I also want to put a second temperature sender in the line just before it returns to the trans, then I can actually see what the cooler(s) are doing.

I got the parts from Jegs, but they are available from many places...

Or I may just put in a 5-speed?????